- Barry Zito was no joke tonight. I was a bit suspect of his numbers coming into the game, small sample size and all, but he certainly lived up to his 2012 billing. I bet Giants fans are wondering where this Barry Zito has been for the past 5 years.
- Arroyo did not have his good stuff tonight, but like a true veteran, he was able to limit the damage. Only 2 runs (1 earned) on 9 hits is a pretty decent night when you know you don't have it.
- Drew Stubbs continues to hammer the ball. Only 1 for 3 tonight, but he was also robbed of a hit on a great diving catch by Angel Pagan. No strikeouts tonight either. He has only struck out 6 times in his last 36 plate appearances, and hasn't struck out more than once in any game since April 13th. Say it with me now, small sample size, but I would love to see this trend continue.
- Speaking of Angel Pagan, what was he doing on that Joey Votto RBI double? I was sitting in front of the power stacks in CF and thought for sure that ball would be caught. He seemed to take a bad line or the ball got him turned around or something.
- A less than stellar Reds debut for JJ Hoover, but you have to figure he was pretty nervous for his Major League debut. I'll give him a mulligan. At least he didn't give up any runs.
- More booing for Willie Harris tonight. Classy.
- Chapman is awesome, even when he doesn't have his best stuff. What a catch he had too.
- Sean Marshall was NASTY tonight. I feel like he is starting to really heat up after looking pretty ordinary in his first 2 appearances or so.
- While we're talking relievers, Jose Arredondo is starting to look like a very reliable arm out of the pen. Last year at times he struggled with control, but he was coming off Tommy John surgery. You have to think he is feeling much better this year. A very underrated piece of the puzzle for the 2012 Reds. I feel like he could have a huge impact, especially after Chapman moves to the rotation.
- Maybe Scott Rolen still has some gas left in the tank? Lets hope. I'm not of the opinion that Rolen HAS to do much for this team to be good, especially considering what the Reds have gotten out of the SS position so far. But I am of the opinion that any offensive pop he provides this season is going to be icing on the cake.
- "When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones beside the fire." - Pink Floyd
- Buying a beer for: Scott Rolen. A lot of Reds fans had already written him off as not having it anymore. Well, he may not, but he certainly contributed tonight, and I feel he has some part to play yet. Being from Indiana, I'll buy him a great Indiana beer from Three Floyds Brewing. How about a Dark Lord Russian imperial stout? After all, Dark Lord Day is this Saturday. Until next time....
Wednesday, April 25, 2012
Game 2 Recap: Here Comes the Rain Again...
Wow! Just got back from a wet, wet night at GABP. Through about 6 innings I was sitting there wondering why I had made the trip down to the ballpark tonight. The rain was cold, like the Reds offense for most of the night. But just like the Reds offense, the rain was also relentless. This was a great win for the Redlegs, and it was an awfully satisfying to boot. A few thoughts: